Publicity and Digital Marketing Intern
Biblioasis is an award-winning independent publishing house based in Windsor, Ontario. We publish approximately 25 titles a year, including short fiction, novels, poetry, literary criticism, memoir, belle lettres, local and regional history, and general nonfiction. We are also the publishers of the critical journal CNQ: Canadian Notes & Queries and the annual Best Canadian anthologies, and operate an independent bookstore in Windsor’s historic Walkerville.
We are seeking a full-time publicity and digital marketing intern to join our Windsor office. This is a paid 12-month position primarily entailing the promotion of titles to media, planning and logistics of virtual events, and assisting marketing staff with metadata, digital sales materials and bookseller outreach.
- assist with national and international publicity strategies for 16-20 books annually, including electronic pitches, digital review copy management and print review copy mailings, and related follow-up
- build and manage relations with key media throughout North America
- write and update press releases and pitches
- organize and secure media coverage for virtual events, including author appearances at launches, readings, and virtual festivals, as well as in-person events and trade shows as public health recommendations allow
- assist in designing promotional material such as digital graphics, postcards, bookmarks, posters and advertisements
- oversee media and product updates on the press’s website and assist with the creation and management of metadata
- work in collaboration with sales representatives in both Canada and the United States so they are informed and enthusiastic about Biblioasis titles.
- interact with authors to strategize publicity opportunities and to execute promotional and publicity events.
- field author queries and help manage author relations, including travel arrangements where public health recommendations allow
- other duties as assigned
Knowledge, skills, and abilities required:
- individuals must be extremely organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated
- excellent written and verbal communication skills
- excellent interpersonal skills
- must have a high degree of creativity and the ability to think strategically
- must be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends
- computer skills include: Word and Excel experience required. Experience with Photoshop, InDesign and Acrobat an asset.
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, English, art history, or related field
- experience in the book publishing industry would be considered an asset
- previous publicity or marketing experience would be an asset
- courses or certificate in a publishing program an asset
To apply, email resume and cover letter to Dan Wells at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 19, 2020.